Carbon Monoxide Kills Kentucky Family. Home Had No Carbon Monoxide Alarms.

Kentucky woman’s family dies in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning. ¬†Officials suggest an inexpensive Carbon Monoxide detector would have prevented the tragedy. ¬† From Connie Leonard of Wave 3

SHELBYVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A Shelbyville woman is still hospitalized more than a month after her family was found in their home unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning. As friends pulled together to help with medical bills, fire officials warn every family to be aware of this silent killer.

Working in a kitchen on a Friday night is something the friends of 35-year-old Jennifer Lewis have been looking forward to all week.

“She loves to laugh and she loves to have fun,” said friend Charlotte Elvy.

Jennifer’s friends say they miss her big smile and still can’t believe she’s suffered so much from something, most of us, don’t think about as a danger.

In late January, fire officials say Jennifer and her children were sleeping in their Shelbyville home when her boyfriend came in from work overnight and shut the garage door with his car still running. A relative found the family in their bedrooms the next day.

Jennifer’s co-workers at the Shelbyville Masonic Home provided the meal for this benefit to help raise money for the family and faculty and parents from Wright Elementary pitched in.

“We are a bunch of moms that have children just like Jennifer and we felt like this was something she would do,” said friend Angela Bowens. “She’s always helped others and we wanted to help her and her family.”

Jennifer’s family tells us she is progressing, but has a way to go with her brain injury. Friends say she would want her story to be an example if it could help other families. Fire officials say the only way to fend off the odorless and colorless danger is a carbon monoxide detector and preparation.

“Have your furnace checked and make sure if you’re using power equipment like a generator or a car that’s near your house or in your garage that those are shut off,” said Louisville Fire Chief Greg Frederick.

“That’s the one thing that’s come of this,” said Lynn Gottbrath, the principal of Wright Elementary. “It’s made my staff more aware and a lot of families at Wright aware.”