Carbon Monoxide Kills Kentucky Family. Home Had No Carbon Monoxide Alarms.

Kentucky woman’s family dies in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Officials suggest an inexpensive Carbon Monoxide detector would have prevented the tragedy.   From Connie Leonard of Wave 3

SHELBYVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A Shelbyville woman is still hospitalized more than a month after her family was found in their home unconscious from carbon monoxide poisoning. As friends pulled together to help with medical bills, fire officials warn every family to be aware of this silent killer.

Working in a kitchen on a Friday night is something the friends of 35-year-old Jennifer Lewis have been looking forward to all week.

“She loves to laugh and she loves to have fun,” said friend Charlotte Elvy.

Jennifer’s friends say they miss her big smile and still can’t believe she’s suffered so much from something, most of us, don’t think about as a danger.

In late January, fire officials say Jennifer and her children were sleeping in their Shelbyville home when her boyfriend came in from work overnight and shut the garage door with his car still running. A relative found the family in their bedrooms the next day.

Jennifer’s co-workers at the Shelbyville Masonic Home provided the meal for this benefit to help raise money for the family and faculty and parents from Wright Elementary pitched in.

“We are a bunch of moms that have children just like Jennifer and we felt like this was something she would do,” said friend Angela Bowens. “She’s always helped others and we wanted to help her and her family.”

Jennifer’s family tells us she is progressing, but has a way to go with her brain injury. Friends say she would want her story to be an example if it could help other families. Fire officials say the only way to fend off the odorless and colorless danger is a carbon monoxide detector and preparation.

“Have your furnace checked and make sure if you’re using power equipment like a generator or a car that’s near your house or in your garage that those are shut off,” said Louisville Fire Chief Greg Frederick.

“That’s the one thing that’s come of this,” said Lynn Gottbrath, the principal of Wright Elementary. “It’s made my staff more aware and a lot of families at Wright aware.”

White Oak EMT Dead In Tragic Carbon Monoxide Accident

EMT-in-training Casey Steenland dead from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  Casey was described as a “rising star” on the team and will be deeply missed by her colleagues, friends, husband and four children.

Steenland and two other co-workers were waiting in an ambulance parked in a garage. They were unaware that a generator was running in the back of their vehicle.  No carbon monoxide detectors were installed anywhere in the garage, because the building itself was “all electic.”

Sadly, this meant that all Steenland and her two co-workers slipped into unconciousness without warning.  Co-workers (Jody Coke and several others) found their three distressed co-workers and tried to rescue them.  Two survived, but Steenland was pronounced dead at the hospital.

WHITE OAK, Texas – One emergency medical technician died and two co-workers were hospitalized Friday after being overcome by carbon monoxide while on duty in the small east Texas town of White Oak.

The three victims were discovered around 7 a.m. Friday by other workers during a shift change, said Victoria Ashworth, a spokeswoman at Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview, which operates Champion EMS in White Oak.

Ashworth told The Associated Press that the carbon monoxide apparently was from a generator left running on an ambulance.

Casey Steenland, a 33-year-old EMT who was in training, was pronounced dead after being transported to the hospital, Ashworth said. Steenland, of Diana, was a married mother of four, Ashworth said.

“She was a dedicated, loyal member of that team and she’ll be missed by everyone,” Ashworth said.

Steenland’s two co-workers — Daniel Gaona, a 23-year-old EMT, and Ron Masten, a 43-year-old paramedic — remained hospitalized in good condition late Friday afternoon, Ashworth said. The two were given oxygen treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, she said.

One of the rescuers, Jody Coke, 32, was treated and released for carbon monoxide exposure, Ashworth said.

The Longview News-Journal reported that Justice of the Peace B.H. Jameson said the ambulance was parked in the bay and all of the doors were closed.

“It is my understanding that the other two employees were on a different side of the building, which saved their lives,” Jameson said.

Officials said in a Friday afternoon news conference that the building didn’t have carbon monoxide detectors because it is all electric.

Because of the circumstances of this accident, Ashworth said that carbon monoxide detectors were installed in all 22 Champion EMS stations across east Texas on Friday.

Jameson said Steenland’s body was sent to Tyler for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

The newspaper reported that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating.

White Oak is a town of about 6,200, located 115 miles east of Dallas.

 

Teens Dead In Carbon Monoxide Accident

A carbon monoxide detector would have prevented this tragedy.   Such a waste :-(.

From KRQE, in Roswell New Mexico:

ROSWELL, N.M. {KRQE} – Police believe two Roswell teens accidentally killed themselves. Mike Hillman and Jesse Andrus were rodeo stars in Roswell.

Cindy Blake’s daughter went to school with the Goddard High seniors.

“They were just three weeks from graduation,” said Blake.

The two took part in bull riding, bareback and saddle bronc competitions across the southwest. The boys went to Phoenix last weekend to compete in a rodeo there, but did not come home like they were supposed to.

A spokesperson for Mike Hillman’s family said police tracked the teens using G.P.S. on one of the boy’s cell phones.

The phone led Scottsdale police to the teens’ pickup truck, parked in a grocery store parking lot. Police have not officially announced the identities of the two bodies found inside the camper shell, but the families said they are sure it is Mike and Jesse.

Investigators said it looks like the teens stopped for a nap before driving home. Police believe the pair of 18 year olds died from carbon monoxide poisoning, after running a generator in the camper shell.

“It’s horrible, it’s a tragedy,” said Blake. “I don’t know why things like this happen.”

An announcement was made Monday afternoon at the school alerting students about the deaths.

“It’s just horrible, and my heart goes out to the family,” Blake said.

The superintendent for the Roswell School District said a crisis management team has been sent to Goddard High to help students and teachers and staff through this difficult time. They will offer counseling to students and teachers as long as it is needed.